Chapter published in:Hispanic Contact Linguistics: Theoretical, methodological and empirical perspectives
Edited by Luis A. Ortiz López, Rosa E. Guzzardo Tamargo and Melvin González-Rivera
[Issues in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics 22] 2020
► pp. 179–212
Chapter 8Transfer and convergence between Catalan and Spanish in a
We present results from a production study of forty-five bilingual Catalan-Spanish speakers (26 women and 19 men, aged 16 to 65 years old), to determine whether there is transfer or convergence between the two languages in a bilingual setting. The participants are residents of the capital and several villages of Majorca (Spain).We provide evidence that the production of third-person clitics in Majorcan Catalan is clearly affected by bilingualism with Spanish. First, there is a pattern of partial transfer in the use of the neutral clitic ho in Majorcan Catalan, which shows a semantic extension matching Spanish lo. Second, the bilinguals show a pattern of syllabic (CV(C)) forms of pronominal clitics, favored by a similarity with Spanish forms. This provides evidence of both morphophonological and semantic transfer in the knowledge and production of bilinguals who acquired both languages in childhood.
- 2.Language contact in Majorca: Majorcan Catalan and Spanish
- 3.Spanish and Catalan pronominal clitics
- 3.1Third-person clitics in Catalan
- 3.2Third-person clitics in Spanish
- 4.Previous studies
- 5.Research questions and hypotheses
- 6.1Participant’s selection
- 6.2Data collection
- 7.Analysis and results
- 7.1Clitic production in Majorcan Catalan
- 7.2Clitic production in Majorcan Spanish
- 8.Analysis across extra-linguistic variables
- 8.1Social (extra-linguistic) variables in Majorcan Catalan
- 8.2Social variables in Majorcan Spanish
- 8.3Analysis across linguistic preferences
- 9.Final remarks
Published online: 14 February 2020
Alcover, A. M.
Batllori, M., Iglesias, N., & Martins, M.
Blas Arroyo, J. L.
Boeckx, C., & Martín, T.
Bonet, E., & Lloret, M. R.
Bosque, I., & Demonte, V.
Guijarro-Fuentes, P. A. Pires, & W. Nediger
Jiménez-Gaspar, A., Pires, A., & Guijarro-Fuentes, P.
Larrañaga, M. P., & Guijarro-Fuentes, P.
Martín, F. J.
Meisel, J. M.
Perea, M. P.
Pires, A., & J. Rothman
Seguí Trobat, G.
Sinner, C., & Wesch, A.
Thomason, S. G., & Kaufman, T.
Wexler, K., Gavarro, A., & Torrens, V.