Chapter 6“Ungenteel” and “rude”? On the use of thou in the eighteenth century
- 6.2A short history of the rise and fall of thou
- 6.2.1The pre-eighteenth-century use of thou
- 6.2.2Eighteenth-century grammars on the use of thou
Thou in eighteenth-century letters
Thou on closer view
- 6.4.1The contextual use of thou
- 6.4.2The most prolific “thouer”: Ignatius Sancho in focus
- 6.5The use of thou in CEECE
- 6.5.1The influence of social and linguistic norms
- 6.5.2A marker of status and intimacy – and of interpersonal identity?
For any use beyond this license, please contact the publisher at firstname.lastname@example.org.