Who Predicted What?
A Comparative Study of Two Newspapers in the Chinese Mainland and Taiwan
The Chinese language is a common language of Chinese people all over the world. The study of it is not only the basis for a comprehensive understanding of its situation, but also a window to explore the development of the Chinese society. Based on two newspapers of the Chinese mainland and Taiwan from Tagged Chinese Gigaword, this article has chosen and examined the word 預測 yùcè ‘to predict’ to explore “who predicated what” through comparing the similarities and differences of its collocates in the subject-predicate relation and the verb-object relation. This study reflects the preference of different newspapers and provides a window for looking into a period of history on both sides of the strait, which is conducive to strengthening the communication and exchanges of Chinese communities.
- 2.Previous studies
- 3.1Corpus selection
- 3.2Chinese word Sketch Engine
- 3.3Research procedures
- 4.The common words collocated with 預測
yùcè ‘to predict’ in XIN and CNA
- 4.1Semantic analysis of the common words in the subject position
- 4.2Semantic analysis of the common words in the object position
- 5.The unique words collocated with 預測 yùcè ‘predict’ in XIN and CNA
- 6.The comparison between the common words and unique words