Chapter published in:Greece in Crisis: Combining critical discourse and corpus linguistics perspectives
Edited by Ourania Hatzidaki and Dionysis Goutsos
[Discourse Approaches to Politics, Society and Culture 70] 2017
► pp. 113–150
Chapter 4The chronicle of an ongoing crisis
Diachronic media representations of Greece and Europe in the Greek press
This study explores media discourses and representations of Greece and Europe in the Greek press in the context of the recent socio-economic crisis. While several studies have explored the representation of Greece in the international press, very few have investigated the discursive construction of crisis in the Greek press. Theoretically and methodologically, the study draws on the tradition of critical discourse analysis, which it combines with corpus linguistics tools. The employed methodology is qualitative and interpretative in nature and attempts an analysis of media texts at a discoursal and grammatical level. The analysis is both synchronic and diachronic, following the development of the crisis through two newspapers, Kathimerini and Ta Nea, at different phases of the crisis.
Keywords: Europe, EU, Greek press, media representations, social actors, systemic functional grammar
- 2.The international press on Greece: How they view us
- 3.Research context, methodology and data
- 4. The corpus
- 5.The beginning of the crisis: The period of shock
- 5.1Prominent discourses in 2010
- 5.2Representations of Greece and Europe/the European Union in 2010
- 6.In the midst of the crisis: The period of the Grexit threat
- 6.1Prominent discourses in 2012
- 6.2Representations of Greece and Europe/the EU in 2012
- 7.The recent phase of the crisis: A period of reflection
- 7.1Prominent discourses in 2014 – January 2015
- 7.2Representations of Greece and Europe/the EU in 2014 – January 2015
- 8.Greece as a “special case” and the challenging of its European identity
Published online: 26 July 2017
Angouri, Jo, and Ruth Wodak
Badiou, Alain, Jean-Christophe Bailly, Étienne Balibar, Claire Denis, Jean-Luc Nancy, Jacques Ranciere, and Avital Ronell
2012 “Save the Greeks from their Saviors!” Available at: http://www.egs.edu/faculty/alain-badiou/articles/save-the-greeks-from-their-saviors/
Baker, Paul, Costas Gabrielatos, Majid KhosraviNik, Michał Krzyżanowski, Tony McEnery, and Ruth Wodak
Baker, Paul, and Tony McEnery
Bickes, Hans, Tina Otten, and Laura Chelsea Weymann
Halliday, Michael A. K.
Halliday, Michael A. K., and Christian M. I. M. Matthiessen
1995 Only Connect. Critical Discourse Analysis and Corpus Linguistics. UCREL Technical Paper 6. Lancaster: Lancaster University. Available at: http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/papers/techpaper/vol6.pdf.
Magone, José M.
Mitsikopoulou, Bessie, and Christina Lykou
Oberhuber, Florian, Christof Bärenreuter, Michał Krzyżanowski, Heinz Schönbauer, and Ruth Wodak
Politis, Pericles, and Maria Kakavoulia
Retzlaff, Steffi, and Stefan Gänzle
Touri, Maria, and Shani Lynn Rogers
Cited by 1 other publications
This list is based on CrossRef data as of 31 march 2022. Please note that it may not be complete. Sources presented here have been supplied by the respective publishers. Any errors therein should be reported to them.