Redirecting the agenda
Agenda-setting in the online Era
Since its initial introduction, the paradigm of agenda-setting has become more refined and complex. In addition to the introduction of intervening factors the agenda-setting paradigm is now challenged by a rapidly changing media environment. This paper reviews the impact of online media technologies and digital platforms on the basic assumptions of the theory. The review sets out to reassess the conceptualization of the agenda-setting theorem by highlighting the development of new processes, attributes and features applicable to the online media. Our review, based on the findings of numerous studies on new media and agenda-setting, suggests several modifications of the basic theory.
- First and second levels
- Differentiation of agendas
- Individual and group differences
- Differences across issues
- Differences across media
- The new media environment
- New agenda for agenda-setting research
- Trend 1: What is now the media agenda?
- Trend 2: Who sets the media agenda now?
- Trend 3: Dynamic agenda-setting
- Trend 4: Agenda-setting or agenda diffusion?
- Trend 5: Individual differences
- Re-evaluating the agenda-setting assumptions
This article is currently available as a sample article.
Cited by 11 other publications
This list is based on CrossRef data as of 15 october 2022. Please note that it may not be complete. Sources presented here have been supplied by the respective publishers. Any errors therein should be reported to them.