Chapter published in:Evidence for Evidentiality
Edited by Ad Foolen, Helen de Hoop and Gijs Mulder
[Human Cognitive Processing 61] 2018
► pp. 19–43
Chapter 1Evidentiality as stance
Event types and speaker roles
This chapter argues for a view of evidentials as a type of shifter and outlines a theory of reference for evidentials that separates the configuration of the ground from the relational axis, and the alignment between ground and figure. The chapter also evaluates a proposal by Kockelman (2004) that draws on Jakobson’s notion of “event type” and Goffman’s “speaker roles” to suggest an existing analogy between “commitment events” for modals and “source events” for evidentials. The scope properties of ‘factual’ forms in both systems notably constitute a formal difference between (epistemic) modality and evidentiality that cannot be accounted for solely by the referential properties of evidentials.
- 2.A relational theory of indexical reference
- 2.1Referential properties of evidentials
- 2.2Referential alignment in evidentials
- 2.3An illustration: epistemic marking in Ika
- 3.Modality as stance: commitment events and the role of ‘principal’
- 3.1Event-types and speaker-roles
- 3.2Adding commitment: Paul Kockelman’s proposal
- 4.Evidentiality as stance: source events and the role of ‘perceiver’
- 4.1Evidential event-types and speaker-roles
- 4.2Scope properties of evidentials and modals
- 4.3Embedded source events
Published online: 19 July 2018
Anderson, S. R., & Keenan, E. L.
Aikhenvald, A., & Dixon, R. M. W.
Bendix, E. H.
Bickel, B., & Nichols J.
2009 Language documentation and verb inflection typology: the case of Northern Akhvakh (Nakh-Daghestanian). Handout at Chronos 9, October 2–4, Paris.
Curnow, T. J.
Du Bois, John W.
Floyd, S., Norcliffe, N., & San Roque, L.
Hanks, W. F.
Hengeveld, K., & Dall’Aglio Hattnher, M. M.
Himmelmann, N. P.
Jacobsen, W. H.
Oswalt R. L.
Rule, W. M.
San Roque, L.
San Roque, L., & Loughnane, R.
Traugott, E. C.
Willett, T. L.
Cited by 3 other publications
Bergqvist, Henrik & Dominique Knuchel
This list is based on CrossRef data as of 31 march 2022. Please note that it may not be complete. Sources presented here have been supplied by the respective publishers. Any errors therein should be reported to them.