Chapter published in:Languaging in Language Learning and Teaching: A collection of empirical studies
Edited by Wataru Suzuki and Neomy Storch
[Language Learning & Language Teaching 55] 2020
► pp. 175–196
Chapter 8Talking about language
L2 learners’ use of metalinguistic knowledge on contrasting pedagogic tasks
This qualitatively oriented study investigated the role of second language (L2) metalinguistic knowledge in languaging during performance on two pedagogic tasks – a gap-fill and a dictogloss. It involved 14 L1 English university-level learners of L2 Spanish (N = 8) and L2 German (N = 6). Drawing on individual think-aloud protocols and learners’ pair-work interactions, we investigated the extent to which metalinguistic knowledge was used during task completion, its purposes, and whether it was associated with successful task performance. Although considerable inter-learner variation was in evidence, we identified a relationship not only between the use of metalinguistic knowledge and successful task completion but also between the purpose for which metalinguistic knowledge was employed during languaging and the balance of expertise between partners.
- Metalinguistic knowledge in contrasting pedagogic tasks
- The present study
- Data collection
- Data analysis
- RQ1: To what extent do individuals and dyads use MLK on two pedagogic tasks, a gap-fill and a dictogloss?
- RQ2: What is the relationship between use of MLK and successful performance on the two tasks?
- RQ3: For what purposes is MLK used during successful performance on the two tasks?
- RQ4: What is the relationship between purpose of MLK and balance of expertise during successful performance on the dictogloss task?
Published online: 14 August 2020
Alderson, J. C., Clapham, C., & Steel, D.
Bygate, M., Skehan, P., & Swain, M.
Coughlan, P., & Duff, P. A.
Damon, W., & Phelps, E.
Elder, C., & Manwaring, D.
Fortune, A., & Thorp, D.
Green, P., & Hecht, K.
Hulstijn, J. H.
Knouzi, I., Swain, M., & Lapkin, S.
Kowal, M., & Swain, M.
Lantolf, J. P., & Appel, G.
Leeser, M. J.
Mozaffari, S. H.
Roehr, K., & Gánem-Gutiérrez, G. A.
Swain, M., & Lapkin, S.