Chapter 8Using keystroke logging for studying L2 writing processes
This chapter presents an overview of keystroke logging.
The chapter includes a general rationale for why and when the method is
appropriate, how the technique works, and pros and cons with different
methodological combinations of keystroke logging. Further, the chapter
briefly outlines some previous L2 writing keystroke logging studies to
illustrate the type of questions that can be addressed by this data
collection technique. Finally, we discuss some methodological challenges and
suggest best practices for using the method.
- Introducing keystroke logging
- How does keystroke logging work?
- Research questions addressed in keystroke logging L2 writing
- Research questions focusing on factors moderating pausing
- Research questions focusing on revision
- Research questions focusing on writing fluency
- Research questions with an educational focus
- Methodological challenges
- Challenge 1: Choosing hardware
- Challenge 2: Choosing the keystroke logging program
- Challenge 3: Choosing settings and procedure
- Challenge 4: Choosing analyses
- Challenge 5: Interpreting the findings
- Best practices
- Explore writing processes
- Choose a program that suits your needs
- Consider orthography
- Keep variables constant and include baseline tasks
- Future avenues
This content is being prepared for publication; it may be subject to changes.