The BBI Combinatory Dictionary of English
Your guide to collocations and grammar
Third edition revised by Robert Ilson
Speak and write perfect English!
- BBI teaches you how to combine words with words to form phrases (so you can say “mortgaged to the hilt; I want something badly”).
- BBI also teaches you how to combine words into structures to form clauses and sentences (so you can say “I want you to go = What I want is for you to go”).
- So BBI helps you with both vocabulary and grammar.
- BBI shows you important vocabulary and grammatical differences between American and British English.
- BBI gives you plenty of examples that can serve as models for your own use of English.
- Some of these examples are authentic quotations from works of American and British literature.
This Third Edition of the BBI Combinatory Dictionary of English is an expanded and updated version of the First Edition (1986) and its Revised Edition (1997), both of which were favorably received. In this third edition, the contents of the BBI have been increased by over 20%.
In the selection and presentation of new material, many sources have been used, including:
- Internet searches;
- The British National Corpus;
- Reading and listening to English-language material;
- For Grammatical Patterns: A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (Randolph Quirck et al.);
- For Collocations: Lists of Lexical Functions (compiled by Igor Mel’cuk et al.).
The BBI has been “highly recommended” by the English-Speaking Union.
Using the BBI: A workbook with exercises is now available online at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/z.bbi.workbook
The BBI Combinatory Dictionary of English: A guide to word combinations, Morton Benson, Evelyn Benson and Robert F. Ilson (1986) ,
The BBI Dictionary of English Word Combinations: Dictionary and workbook (set), Morton Benson, Evelyn Benson, Robert F. Ilson and Richard Young (1991) ,
The BBI Dictionary of English Word Combinations: Revised edition, Morton Benson, Evelyn Benson and Robert F. Ilson (1997)
Table of Contents
Preface to the third edition | pp. vii–ix
Preface to the second edition | p. xi
A practical guide to the BBI | pp. xiii–xv
How entries are structured in the BBI: A visual guide | pp. xvi–xvii
Introduction | pp. xix–xxxix
Comparative table of Simplified Transcription (ST) and IPA transcription | p. xli
Dictionary | pp. 1–462
Cited by 19 other publications
This list is based on CrossRef data as of 8 november 2023. Please note that it may not be complete. Sources presented here have been supplied by the respective publishers. Any errors therein should be reported to them.