Text and Context in Functional Linguistics
| University of Brunei Darussalam
The shift towards a sociolinguistic approach to the analysis of language in the last few decades has necessitated new definitions for a number of concepts that linguists have taken for granted for a long time. This volume attempts to demystify the important notions of text and context by providing clear definitions and examples within the assumptions of Systemic Functional (SF) linguistics. After a discussion of the role and significance of context by three eminent SF linguists in section one, the influence of context on text is dealt with in section two From Context to Language. Section three From Language to Context considers textual features and their relationship to contextual factors. All the contributors base their analyses on data collected from a variety of spoken and written registers of contemporary English.
[Current Issues in Linguistic Theory, 169] 1999. xviii, 340 pp.
Publishing status: Available
© John Benjamins Publishing Company
Table of Contents
Foreword | p. vii
Notes on the Contributors | p. ix
Introduction | p. xi
1. The notion of “context” in language educationM.A.K. Halliday | p. 1
2. Modelling context: a crooked path of progress in contextual linguisticsJ.R. Martin | p. 25
3. Context in dynamic modellingMichael O’Donnell | p. 63
4. Acting the part: lexico-grammatical choices and contextual factorsGeoff Thompson | p. 101
5. Textual features and contextual factors for register identificationMohsen Ghadessy | p. 125
6. Investigating institutionalization in contextWendy L. Bowcher | p. 141
7. Context, material situation and textCarmel Cloran | p. 177
8. Speaking with reference to contextRuqaiya Hasan | p. 219
Name Index | p. 329
Subject Index | p. 333
“Readers interested in Systemic Functional Linguistics will find this volume instrumental in examining text and context.”
Daniel O. Jackson, Obrin University
Cited by 11 other publications
Bowcher, Wendy L.
Bowcher, Wendy L.
Kaplan, Robert B & William Grabe
Kuswoyo, Heri, Eva Tuckyta Sari Sujatna, Lia Maulia Indrayani, Akhyar Rido & Doris Macdonald
Liang, Jennifer Yameng
Matthiessen, Christian M.I.M., Bo Wang & Yuanyi Ma
Yu, Zhibin, Dennis S. Moirangthem & Minho Lee
This list is based on CrossRef data as of 22 april 2022. Please note that it may not be complete. Sources presented here have been supplied by the respective publishers. Any errors therein should be reported to them.