Vocabulary in a Second Language
Selection, acquisition, and testing
The eleven chapters of Vocabulary in a Second Language are written by the world’s leading researchers in the field of vocabulary studies in second language acquisition. Each chapter presents experimental research leading to new conclusions about and insights into the selection, the learning and teaching, or the testing of vocabulary knowledge in foreign languages. This book is intended as an up-to-date overview of the important domain of the lexicon for researchers in the field of second language acquisition, teacher trainers and professional teachers of second or foreign languages.
[Language Learning & Language Teaching, 10] 2004. xiv, 234 pp.
Publishing status: Available
© John Benjamins Publishing Company
Table of Contents
IntroductionPaul Bogaards and Batia Laufer | pp. vii–xiv
1. A study of the most frequent word families in the British National CorpusI.S.P. Nation | pp. 3–13
2. Is there room for an academic word list in French?Tom Cobb and Marlise Horst | pp. 15–38
3. Vocabulary coverage according to spoken discourse contextSvenja Adolphs and Norbert Schmitt | pp. 39–49
4. Etymological elaboration as a strategy for learning idiomsFrank Boers, Murielle Demecheleer and June Eyckmans | pp. 53–78
5. Receptive, productive, and receptive + productive L2 vocabulary learning: what difference does it make?Jan-Arjen Mondria and Boukje Wiersma | pp. 79–100
6. Semantic transfer and development in adult L2 vocabulary acquisitionNan Jiang | pp. 101–126
7. Individual differences in the use of colloquial vocabulary: The effects of sociobiographical and psychological factorsJean-Marc Dewaele | pp. 127–153
8. Second language lexical inferencing: preferences, perceptions, and practicesDavid D. Qian | pp. 155–169
9. The Relation between lexical richness and vocabulary size in Dutch L1 and L2 childrenAnne Vermeer | pp. 173–189
10. The construction and validation of a deep word knowledge test for advanced learners of FrenchTine Greidanus, Paul Bogaards, Elisabeth van der Linden, Lydius Nienhuis and Tom de Wolf | pp. 191–208
11. Plumbing the depths: How should the construct of vocabulary knowledge be defined?John Read | pp. 209–227
List of Contributors
“This volume contains a rich coverage of carefully selected and illustrated research and insightful pedagogical implications for L2 and foreign language teaching. What is more, the editors present and connect the various running themes with an invaluable index, one that vocabulary researchers are sure to appreciate!”
Diana Pulido, Michigan State University, in Studies in Second Language Acquisition 28(1), 2006
“This is a principled, well-edited selection resulting in a broad survey of ongoing vocabulary research, with contributions by several well-known names in the field. The editors' introduction, too, provides more than a survey of the papers, and attempts to pinpoint a number of interesting questions for the research agenda.”
Paul Pauwels, Lessius Hogeschool, in ITL, Review of Applied Linguistics, 2005
Cited by 30 other publications
BULTÉ, BRAM, ALEX HOUSEN, MICHEL PIERRARD & SISKA VAN DAELE
2011. Effective Language Learning in LSP Contexts. ITL - International Journal of Applied Linguistics 161 ► pp. 31 ff.
Canga Alonso, Andrés
COLLINS, LAURA, PAVEL TROFIMOVICH, JOANNA WHITE, WALCIR CARDOSO & MARLISE HORST
Das, Suprabhat, Anupam Basu & Pabitra Mitra
de Groot, Annette M. B.
Dushku, Silvana & Youngshil Paek
Engen, Thor Ola
Esguerra, Roseley Santos & Phalangchok Wanphet
2015. Emergent vocabulary in second language socialization among learners. Language and Dialogue 5:2 ► pp. 283 ff.
Farvardin, Mohammad Taghi & Mansoor Koosha
Gass, Susan M., Jennifer Behney & Luke Plonsky
Gullberg, Marianne, Leah Roberts, Christine Dimroth, Kim Veroude & Peter Indefrey
Hasan, Md. Kamrul, Prodhan Mahbub Ibna Seraj & Mekhala Chakma
2019. Second language vocabulary learning through subtitling. Revista Española de Lingüística Aplicada/Spanish Journal of Applied Linguistics 32:2 ► pp. 486 ff.
McCarron, Sean Patrick & Victor Kuperman
Moghadam, Soodeh Hamzehlou, Zaidah Zainal & Mahsa Ghaderpour
Moreno Jaén, María & Carmen Pérez Basanta
Neff Van Aertselaer, Jo Anne
2021. Review of Randall (2007): Memory, Psychology and Second Language Learning. Language Learning and Language Teaching, Volume 19.. ITL - International Journal of Applied Linguistics ► pp. 138 ff.
This list is based on CrossRef data as of 13 november 2023. Please note that it may not be complete. Sources presented here have been supplied by the respective publishers. Any errors therein should be reported to them.